Monday, February 28, 2011

Objectives of a My Genealogical Research

I recently corresponded with Joel Helander, the Guilford historian and author of  "Leete's Island Legacy."  I was looking for a map of early Guilford.   As I described in my note to him, here are 4 objectives of my research:
  • My primary project is to republish the "'34 book" on the internet at https://sites.google.com/site/leeteleetgenealogyna/.  (Elsewhere in the note I emphasized that the republication should eliminate as many errors as possible, based on the wealth of internet data becoming available.)
  • A second project is to bring the genealogy up-to-date. This will be done by creating a new tree with the root person being a Leet(e) born around 1880.  I'm hoping that a descendant of that Leet(e) will take ownership of each tree. 
  • A third project, and one that is most exciting to me, is to track the movement of the various Leete/Leet clans across North America.  In particular, for Wm, starting with the Charter signers, to track how they moved as interconnected family groups from Guilford to other parts of New England and then west.  For example, the Hoadleys and Leetes, the Cruttendens and Leetes, the Chittendens and Leetes.  That's where a map of Guilford would come in handy, both for ahah moments on why someone married someone else (they were down the street- often found through census sheets), and to rationalize why a group moved together.
  • A fourth project, also exciting, is to document how Leete/Leets crossed paths, mostly unintentionally, during pivotal times in our history.  The most interesting one is the Civil War.  In this case, I am actually "tweaking" the official version of some battles based on my findings. Yes there were CSA Leete/Leets, both because of migration from the NE and new immigrants, A I Leet being the most notable.    

No comments:

Post a Comment