Monday, July 2, 2012

2014 Leete/Leet Reunion

Given my progress to date, by 2014 I should have most of the major Leete and Leet trees for early immigrants to the US from England and Ireland in electronic form.  I should also have a number of epic stories to tell.  So, it is time to reconstitute the Leete Family Association and to plan a reunion.

Now, one of the greatest stories to tell has to do with the Civil War battles fought around Chattanooga.  I believe ALL the Leete/Leet lines converged in this time and place in history to fight with and against one another in the epic battles.  Absolutely fascinating and educational to all.

There are other place I could think of.  Of course, Guilford, Connecticut.  But that would emphasize Gov Leete, and the Leet(e)s in Western PA and NY would say:  We've got more history here than Guilford has!  But even there we'd miss the drama of Leet(e) against Leet(e), Yankee against Rebel.  We'd miss the literally! crazy Leet that was the talk of Washington after the Civil War, editor of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, and major developer of Denver.  We'd miss the stories of the Leet(e)s in Nevada, where Quebec Leet(e) met Leet(e)s from the other branches.  (The Quebec Leet(e)s were of Gov Leet's line.)

In addition to being central to Leet(e) history, Chattanooga is nice to visit in its own right, and the Smokies are a couple of hours away.

So, what do you think?  A Family Reunion in Chattanooga in 2014, probably just after school is out, so you can bring your kids to learn history.

2 comments:

  1. When I was visiting Chickamauga Battlefield I saw a mention of "Leet's Tanyard" engraved on one of the monuments. I wished at the time that I could learn more about our family's involvement

    Nancy Leet

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family and I would love to attend the family reunion in Chattanooga. We live in the Memphis area.

    Mark Leet

    ReplyDelete