Monday, February 15, 2010

William Mathews, Farm Manager for Gov Leete

I received the following note via my father from Marc Matthews:
My name is Marc Matthews and I am trying to find information on my 10th generation back in time grand-father by the name of William Mathews, he supposedly was a farm manager for Governor William Leete, in the 1600's. He has been referred to as "Leete's farmer". Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Marc Matthews
I haven't researched this, so I'm looking forward to a dialogue with Marc. My father, Gerald Leet, said:
In the "History of Guilford and Madison" by STEINER Edition 1975: "Besides the patentees, William Matthew, Mr, Leete's farmer, was admitted planter April 2, 1674." I'm not sure what "planter" means but I suspect he had his own farm after working for Mr. Leete"
I think the first thing to do is to clarify the spelling of the last name. Is it Mathews, Matthew, or Matthews? Next, identify any relationships between the two families by looking at both ancestors and descendants.
At this point in time I don't have any identified relationships. Nor do I have any stories. It would be great to expand on this lead.

1 comment:

  1. Mr Leet, this is Marc Matthews the descendent of William Mathew(s) of New Haven Ct. (D) 1684. My great-great+-grandfather and his wife Jean, Jane "Mathews", were early settlers of the New England area and finding information about their life and origins before coming to New Haven is illusive at best. We do know from DNA testing that I am a direct paternal descendant of this William Mathews through his son born 1675, a Caleb Mathews, who I think was possibly named for William Leete's son (Caleb Leete) who died the year before Caleb Mathews was born, (this is my guess), assuming the fact of William Mathew(s) was the farmer for Gov. Leete, as we have been lead to believe. If you care to reach me please do e-mail me at: Jeannemarcmatt@Gmail.com. Thank you. Marc Mathews

    ReplyDelete